Search Engine Marketing

So, what is search engine marketing (SEM)?

Search engine marketing is the practice of marketing a business using paid advertisements that appear on search engine results pages. These ads most commonly appear at the top and the bottom of each search results page. Search engine marketing also refers to image or display ads that are placed in a huge network of websites across the internet. These display ads are triggered when someone uses the search term or phrase they are linked to.

With all variations of SEM advertisers bid on keywords that users of services such as Google might enter when looking for certain products or services, which gives the advertiser the opportunity for their ads to appear on the results page for those search queries. These can also be referred to as Pay-Per-Click ads.

Sounds a little confusing doesn’t it? The image below is displaying search results for the search term “t-shirts”. You can clearly see an SEM Google Adwords ad for Vista Print at the top of the page and a Google Display at for Wrodans on the right of the page.

T-shirts - Search engine marketing - SEM - Victoria BC

Search engine marketing’s greatest strength is that it offers advertisers the opportunity to put their ads in front of motivated customers who are ready to buy at the precise moment they’re ready to make a purchase. No other advertising medium can do this, which is why search engine marketing is so effective and such an amazingly powerful way to grow your business.

We should mention that when it comes to local businesses organic search results will be clicked 94% of the time by searchers, leaving only 6% to advertisers. This is why we recommend SEM as a compliment to an ongoing SEO strategy.

If you have a question, or If you’d like to know more about search engine marketing (SEM) and how your business can benefit we’d be happy to help you! Don’t be shy and get in touch! Just click the link below.

 

Contact Us